Friday, August 21, 2009

Impulsive

I have 2 sides to me, a meticulous planning side and a very impulsive side. Completely opposite, and it's funny, the planner in me doesn't get much done, the impulsive side controls me. Is this normal, does anyone else have this?



Since eating and Operation Slimbelly have been prevalent in my last 2 blogs, I'll give an example. (I just named Operation Slimbelly by the way, and I think I like it!) The planner in me reads nutrition books, exercise books, writes weight loss goals down, plans to do triathlons and 5ks. I "get right" mentally before the day starts, and I eat a healthy breakfast and snack. Then in a matter of 5 minutes, the impulsive side has come and gone, and in that 5 minutes I've consumed a 400 calorie doughnut and 500 calorie Starbucks. With whipped cream if I'm feeling sassy. Then the planner comes back, and is depressed for the rest of the day over lack of control! Terrible and ashaming. The closest I came to letting the planner win was doing the triathlon last year and it is a proud moment, even if I came in near last place! On my current goal lists are both weight loss and to run a 5K by July 2010. If any other running haters want to join me I'd be grateful for the support!


Another example: Businesses... I read business books like best selling novels. I pour over them, indulge in them, savor them and feel ready to conquer the world when I finish one. I take notes for crying out loud, yes I'm a bit of a nerd! :) But have yet to come up with a business plan. I have lots of ideas, like my newly named Kaloula Cakes, but have a bit of anxiety when I think about actually starting it. Then one day, sitting at work, I make an impulsive decision to sell Avon. And immediately sign up! So I have a bit of a business now, www.youravon.com/klabossiere, shameless plug. Which is satisfying to have indeed, but not the blood sweat and tears that go into opening your own business. That said, I am going to give this my all and work for a successful business.


I'm working on finding that middle ground, between planning and not doing and being too impulsive. I get tired of waiting for life to happen, if we really want something we have to go out and get it right? I admire those of you who know exactly what you want to do and focus on it until you are great at it, and some of you reading this are that person. If you don't know who you are well you should! The people who are really great and successful at something step out of their comfort zone and go for it. Sometimes people say to me that they wish they could do some of the things I've done, which is flattering, but really -- it's just a matter of getting out of the comfort zone and doing it!

So for me, I am going to go for it with Avon until I'm done with school. Who knows, maybe in 2 years when I graduate, I will have made enough to not have student loans. Now that's a goal worth obtaining! And for you, please, do something that you've always wanted to do, something that only your fears are holding you back. Be impulsive if you've never been! Or be like me and try to find the middle ground.. and if you do it please let me know because I am truly inspired by stories of not holding back and going for it! Like they say, you never know unless you try, if you are successful that is GREAT, and if you are not, well, at least you are not wondering what coulda been if only.. And that may even lead you to something better!

No comments:

Post a Comment