Monday, November 2, 2009

Sunday Breakfast and a new treat

I love cereal. I mean, adore it. I mean, I will eat it all day long. I don't stare at the box while eating it like I used to growing up. My brother and I used to fight about who got to look at the box while eating. It's kind of funny now that I really think about it.

Anyway, this is not about my love affair with cereal. (Although I did enjoy one box each of Boo Berry and Frankenberry last month -- OOoooh!!) I eat a bowl of cereal every morning. Except! Every Sunday after church I cook us a mean breakfast. Yesterday we had a bit of shopping to do after church, and IHOP was right there and it doesn't even sound appealing anymore and that used to be my favorite. Now.. Nope. They can't cook like I do, I'm sorry to say. I ruined going out to breakfast for myself, on account of being able to cook everything just as we like it, something IHOP just doesn't do for me anymore.

Specifically - egg whites and turkey sausage. For the two of us, I make 4 egg whites and 1 whole egg. Just a little bit of milk, and whatever seasonings we're feeling that day. A dash of the S&P, a little garlic powder, all purpose salt free seasoning..

And the star of the show, fried potatoes. Aw yeeeaaah. Sorry, IHOP and Waffle House, you can't touch these.


Fried Potatoes

1 medium sized onion, cut into large chunks
3-4 tbsp butter, divided
4-5 cooked red potatoes, cut into chunks
2 cloves of garlic, minced
Seasoned salt
All Purpose Salt Free Seasoning
Black pepper

Melt 1 tbsp of butter in a medium pan and cook onions until tender. Add the potatoes and garlic and 1 more tbsp of butter. Add seasonings to your liking and fry dem taters up! Add butter as necessary to keep potatoes from being dry.

We like our potatoes on the crispy side, so I fry them for about 15 minutes. Don't be shy with the butter and seasoned salt. This is not the healthy portion of the breakfast - that's what the egg whites and turkey sausage are for!

I just found a new indulgent yet lighter in calories treat. Wow ohmygoshyouhavetotryit!!!
Check out the website HERE. That's all I have to say about that. Freaking fabulous!!!

1 comment:

  1. Mmmm, breakfast looks good! Though I'm rethinking the food I eat after seeing the author of Eating Animals on Ellen this week. He says if you want to choose only one food item to stop eating for both the environment and to stop cruelty to animals then eggs would be the best one. He said, I and agree, that if you're going to eat eggs, milk, meat, etc., you should research the source and not buy anything from a corporate farm because they are destroying the land and water and air. ANYWAY. Just had my first packet of chocolate cookie caramel pecan SmartFood. Yum!

    ReplyDelete