Thursday, March 17, 2011

Assorted Ramblings

Happy St. Patrick's Day!



I gave up sweets and alcohol for Lent this year, so no green beer for this girl.  Lent has been here for just over a week and already in that time, I've felt the sacrifice.  I never knew how much sweets I ate until I gave it up!  After I eat lunch I get an intense sweet craving.  It's ridiculous!  And definitely necessary to give up.  And dang it all if I don't love a chocolate marshmallow bunny to pieces either.  Then the alcohol..first was a weekend in Daytona..it sure woulda been nice to have been sipping a brewsky during the Daytona 200!  And now of course, St. Patty's Day.  I feel like now that I have gotten these 2 things out of the way, I should have no trouble making it to Easter.

I survived Daytona!  And quite surprisingly had a lot of fun too.  I didn't lose my husband to the bikes, another bonus.  Wow though..I have never seen such a thing as bike week!  Normally I see bikes on the road here and there and try to stay away from them, just to be safe.  But bike week?  We were one of the few cars driving around, the bikes were everywhere.  And the noise!    It was more a feeling of excitement and comraderie than anything else..just a lot of good fun.

I know I am all over the place here, but I have been having the craziest dreams lately.  One night I had a whole dream about making an apple pie.  I don't know how long the dream lasted in reality but it was surely a couple hours.  I was having trouble with the crust, tried to make it a couple times and then gave up and gave it a crumb topping.  Now what can a dream like that mean?

The next night, I had a dream about snakes.  They were everywhere, and doing that thing where they open their mouth so you see their fangs and then they'd try to bite me.  This one I did look up and it could mean many different things, some I don't even want to think about..but it seems this one seems quite relevant:
"Such a snake-ordeal is an important signal that you are going through a kind of initiation; a psychological and spiritual trial that has the potential to change your life for the better if you deal with it bravely and with a clear heart. You may have to give up something you thought you couldn't, or take a stand for your principles or faith."

Yes indeed.  That basically sums up my life right now, trying to change my life for the better, taking a stand for principles and faith.  Sing it sister.

I hope everyone has a Happy St. Patrick's day (now night!)  I made Hungry Housewife's Guinness Sheperd's Pie and it was glorious!  Guinness gravy is a revelation.  If you haven't tried it yet...you must!  Right now, stop reading, click the link, go to the store and get the ingredients, cook, enjoy...then go back to blogging!





1 comment:

  1. Happy St Patrick's Day!!
    Making a Guinness Shepherd's Pie sounds totally yummy and a very welcome recipe! I had the most delicious Shepherd's Pie in Darjeeling last year!

    Glad to hear you enjoyed the bike week in Daytona with the hubby!

    ReplyDelete