Sunday, September 27, 2009

Hidden Treasure

That impulsive side of me keeps gobbling up other people's food blogs ravenously. I want to make everything! Then the sensible side takes over, and all I'd have left is an imitation blog, not really my own. Besides, I have soo many recipes I've been wanting to make, before discovering "OPB" --> Other People's Blogs. I went back and checked out my cookbook collection, and in it found this forgotten gem:




At first I was thinking, 1973! What could be in there, really? Those recipes aren't new and exciting! I was wrong. They're not new, but they are exciting! Please consider:

Love Light Cake from Estelle Bojanowski

Wacky Man's Cake from Gertrude Stall

Pocket Full O Coconut Cake from Theresa Novak

Harvey Wallbanger Cake from Nina Burzynski

Deep Dark Secret Cake

tons I mean TONS of recipes for Kolacky -- I never heard of it?? Anyone?

Looks like I've got my baking cut out for me!


Being that it's fall, in other parts of the country, not so much here, I have really been wanting to break out the pumpkin recipes! Pumpkin bread, pumpkin muffins, pumpkin rolls, pumpkin cookies, pumpkin soup, pumpkin spice latte!

So eagerly I ran out to the grocery store and wouldn't you know it - pumpkin shortage?? Not a single can to be sold. I spoke to the manager who told me there was a shortage of pumpkin this year and he thinks Libby's is trying to stall to start delivering pumpkin until closer to Thanksgiving. Noooooooo! He said to let him know if I found it anywhere else because that means Libby's was lying to him and (shadow crossing over his face) that would make him very angry.

Let's not make him angry.

Yesterday I joined Blog to Lose! And I started thinking again about my title, Siestas and Cupcakes. For a while I thought about changing it, I didn't know people would be reading my blog! The Unfit Baker? Kaloula Cooks? I had a whole list, most of which I've forgotten. Then I just decided, you know what, I don't need a direction. This is my little real estate in the blog world, the internet world if you will, I don't need to follow any "rules" Siestas and Cupcakes works, because they are still 2 of my favorite things, and this is a little bit of a stretch, but the "Cupcake" portion is cooking and baking, and "Siestas" could be my break from cooking or baking just to write, or talk about the weight loss journey.

I'm still on my first cup of coffee so if that made no sense to you check back with me later.

Happy Sunday!!

1 comment:

  1. I love Siestas and Cupcakes as your blog name. Maybe post a shot or two of Onyx taking a nap would help fulfill the first half?

    A shortage of pumpkin... oh no, Mr. Bill!

    I've been trying to find a great cookie recipe of mine which requires Frango mints. You place half of a mint in the middle of cookie dough then bake. Sprinkle with powdered sugar and eat that delicious mint chocolate melting in your mouth. Yum! We may have to pick up some Frango mints in Chicago before heading down south.

    ReplyDelete