Monday, July 12, 2010

Chicken Marsala

I finally cooked again..it has been a long couple months of same old same old recipes and thrown together cans of beans, my go-to food.  I wanted something low fat and I turned to one of the first cookbooks I've ever owned: The ol red and white checked Better Homes and Gardens Cookbook.  What I found, with a happy little "Low Fat" stamp on it was Chicken Marsala.  This was relatively easy to make and I was really very happy with the results..hope you enjoy!

Chicken Marsala



1/4 cup AP flour
1/2 tsp dried marjoram
4 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
1/4 cup sliced green onions
3 Tbsp butter or margarine
1/2 cup chicken broth
1/2 cup Marsala

In a shallow bowl, stir together flour, marjoram, 1/8 tsp salt, 1/8 tsp pepper.  Lightly coat chicken pieces on both sides with flour mixture, shake off excess.
In a 12 in. skillet, cook mushrooms and green onions in 1 tbsp butter over medium high heat until tender.  Remove from skillet.  In the same skillet cook the chicken in remaining 2 tbsp butter for 5 to 6 minutes, turning to brown evenly.
Remove skillet from heat.  Return mushrooms and onions to skillet.  Carefully add broth and Marsala to skillet.  Skillet skillet skillet.  Am I overusing the word skillet I wonder?  Bring mixture to boiling, reduce heat.  Simmer, uncovered, for 2 minutes, stirring occasionally.  Season sauce to taste with salt and pepper.  Transfer chicken to a serving platter and spoon mushroom mixture over chicken. Serve over pasta.

3 comments:

  1. Mmmm! This is my favorite chicken dish of all time. I'll have to try your version soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. mmm, that does look really good, but anything would right now because i haven't eaten yet!

    also, i was reading your profile, and i loved that you mentioned "blush and bashful." from one of my favorite movies!

    ReplyDelete