Saturday, October 30, 2010

Happy Halloween!

Happy Halloween!!

I was just wondering if anyone ever went as a hollow-weenie for Halloween?  As in, like a hot dog casing or something of the like.  But that would take some creativity to pull off.  I bet someone could or has done it already, I rarely have an original thought so for sure someone's done it right?

As for me, I don't have Halloween plans.  The house is not decorated, but I did by some candy for those rascal neighborhood kiddos.  Good stuff too, snickers with almonds and twizzler nibs.  Love dem nibs!

Being as though I don't have many original thoughts, I found this creative idea from Lisa at Pickles and Cheese.  Candy Corn Brownie Bites!  Super cute and creative.  I made a new brownie recipe from my Baking by Dorie Greenspan book, tribute to Katherine Hepburn brownies, and they may be my new favorite brownie, a-maz-ing.  And I just so happened to have some fancy pants chocolate on hand:



 Given these fabulous brownies a go and have a happy safe Halloweenie!


Tribute to Katherine Hepburn Brownies
Recipe from Dorie Greenspan, Baking

1/4 cup all purpose flour
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp salt
1 stick (8 tbsp) unsalted butter, cut into 8 pieces
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
2 tsp ground instant coffee
2 large eggs, room temp
1 cup sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup chopped pecans
4 oz bittersweet chocolate, chopped

Preheat oven to 325 and grease and flour 8in baking pan.

Whisk the flour, cinnamon, and salt together.  Put the butter in a medium heavy-bottomed saucepan and place over low heat.  When butter starts to melt, sift in cocoa powder and add instant coffee.  Continue to cook, stirring, until the butter is melted and the cocoa and coffee are blended into it.  Remove from heat and cool 3 minutes.

Using a whisk or rubber spatula, beat the eggs into the saucepan one at a time.  Next, stir in the sugar and vanilla, followed by the dry ingredients, nuts, and chopped chocolate.  Scrape the batter into the pan.  Bake for 30 minutes and cool completely before cutting into squares.











Glaze:
Mix together 1/2 cup remaining bittersweet chocolate with 2 Tbsp butter, 1 Tbsp light corn syrup, and 1 tsp vanilla in a saucepan over low heat.




4 comments:

  1. Those look yummy and easy! Thanks for sharing. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, those look totally yummy!! Must try them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those look great although I am not a big lover of brownies. Happy Halloween!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for your kind words about my nightmare of a move:( The company that the railroad uses will send someone to fix all the furniture and they will have to replace the refrig. In a month, this will all be over and we will be settled. I am loving the sunshine here in SC! Of course it has shined almost every day since I moved here until the day we moved. It rained for hours! LOL! That sums up the move.

    ReplyDelete