Friday, November 19, 2010

Lemon Pound Cake

Every now and then I come across a recipe and post it just for me.  If you are anything like me, I get lost in the blog world.  Sometimes I just look at other people's blogrolls and jump from blog to blog to blog, sometimes I see something great, forget to follow the blog, and forever try to remember where I saw that one thing, and it remains in oblivion forever.

Or sometimes!  Sometimes that just happens at home with my millions of cookbooks.  I also print recipes daily, then go to find it and find scraps and bits of paper and recipes and grocery lists on backs of recipes all over the place.  Organize much?  Clearly lacking at the moment.

When I found this recipe I knew I was going to make it relatively soon, and just so happened had to bake for a bake sale.  And gosh.  I so didn't want to give this pound cake up..it was delightfully lemony, perfectly moist, altogether just delicious.  I knew I had to post it so I don't lose this one!



Lemon Buttermilk Pound Cake
Recipe from Baking Bites


3 cups all purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder
3/4 tsp salt
1 1/2 cups sugar
1/2 cup butter, room temperature
2 tbsp lemon zest
3 large eggs
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 1/4 cups buttermilk
1/2 cup vegetable oil

Preheat oven to 350F. Grease and flour a 10-inch tube pan.
In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder and salt.

In a large bowl, cream together butter and sugar until light. Beat in lemon zest, then beat in the eggs one at a time until well-combined.

In a measuring cup or small bowl, combine vanilla, buttermilk and vegetable oil. Working in two or three additions, alternately add the flour mixture and the buttermilk mixture to the butter mixture, ending with a final addition of dry ingredients. Stir only until no streaks of flour remain. Pour into prepared pan.

Bake for 50-55 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.

Cool on a wire rack before topping with lemon glaze (recipe below)

Lemon Glaze
2 tbsp butter, melted and cooled
2 tbsp lemon juice
1 tbsp lemon zest
1 1/2 cups confectioners’ sugar

Combine all ingredients in a small bowl and whisk until smooth. Drizzle over cooled cake.






3 comments:

  1. This looks delicious! I love a good lemon cake, and this one sounds amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been on a mission to find the perfect pound cake. Bookmarking!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This reminds me of a lost recipe for a lemon cake I made 35 years ago. It had the most delicious sour cream icing... wish I could find that one!

    ReplyDelete