Thursday, April 15, 2010

Chocolate Mousse Cake

Today is Hub's birthday!  How I wish for both of us it fell on a weekend and not a day sandwiched by work and school, but such is life.  For the man I love, I chose to make this delightful flourless cake by Nigella Lawson.  Whatever happened to her show anyway?  Hers was absolutely my favorite cooking show to watch.  If, when cooking, I find myself in my own cooking show (as I often do), I'll start describing what I'm doing in a Nigella accent.  Isn't that lovely?

And the very best, every single episode shows her sneaking down to the fridge in the middle of the night for a big scoop of whatever she's cooked up.  I mean a hunk.  Doesn't that sound lovely too, a hunk of chocolate mousse cake?

The best part of this cake, I find, is the flourlessness of it all.  You know, with other cakes, if you eat a whole slice, frosting and all, you kinda sit back, your belly bulging ever so slightly, wondering why in the world you just ate that whole durn thing?  This one, it's rich and light as air.  You fulfill your chocolate/sweet craving but don't feel the bloat afterwards.  I hope you enjoy! 


Intense Chocolate Mousse Cake
Recipe from Nigella Lawson

10 oz bittersweet chocolate
9 Tbsp unsalted butter
6 large eggs, separated
pinch of salt
3/4 cup sugar
2 Tbsp Brandy (I used cherry brandy)
1 tsp confectioners sugar

1.  Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Cover the outside of a 9 inch springform pan with a double layer of foil.  Using a microwave oven or double broiler, melt together chocolate and butter.  Set aside to cool.

2.  Using an electric mixer, whisk egg whites and salt until thick.  Add 1/4 cup granulated sugar; and continue to whisk until stiff and shiny but not dry.  In another bowl, whisk together egg yolks and remaining 1/2 cup sugar until pale and thick.  Whisk in brandy, then fold in cooled chocolate mixture.

3.  Place kettle of water over heat, and bring it to a boil.  Fold about 1/2 cup whisked egg whites into the chocolate mixture to lighten it.  Gently fold in remaining whites, being careful not to let the mixture deflate.  Pour mixture into prepared springform pan, and place pan in roasting pan.  Add boiling water into roasting pan to come halfway up side of springform pan.  Bake for 45 minutes.  Top of cake will be hard and inside will be gooey.  (Isn't that lovely?)

4.  Remove cake pan from water, and place on rack to cool completely. Unwrap foil and remove side of springform pan.  Place cake on a serving platter.  Just before serving, dust with sifted confectioners' sugar.



3 comments:

  1. Happy birthday, hubby!!!!! He's one lucky guy. That cake looks amazing!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A dessert that won't leave me feeling bloated. Count me in!!!!! This looks super delicious!

    ReplyDelete